Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra’s Resound ensemble will become the first disability-ledRead more...
Rhododendron and Azalea
These beautiful blooms look picture perfect peeking out over a white picket fence. But the entire plant is highly toxic — ingesting a flower, stem, or leaf could lead to abdominal pain, difficulty breathing, paralysis, coma, and even death.
Eating only a small part of this plant (which flowers in white, pink, or red) can be fatal — in one case, just one leaf was enough to harm a child. Symptoms of poisoning include drowsiness, slowed heart rate, and shaking.
These small white flowers might appear in your garden as weeds, and if you have curious pets, you should remove them. White hemlock’s toxin (which smells like carrot) attacks the nervous system, and can cause serious harm (seizures, death) to animals and humans.
The bulbs are the most poisonous part of these so-called friendly flowers, so you might think twice about planting them if you have a dog that likes to root around in the garden. Ingesting too much could cause vomiting, diarrhea, convulsions, tremors, and cardia arrhythmias.