Indian captain Virat Kohli has been named as one ofRead more...
Yoga is a great way to lose weight if practised regularly using the right form. It is light on the joints and the chances of injury – if done initially under the guidance of a trained professional – are minimal. Moreover you don’t have to waste thousands on that expensive gym membership; yoga can be practised from the comfort of your home. (Read: Here are 10 different forms of Yoga you should try)
All you need are some comfortable clothes and a yoga mat and you are good to go. So to start you off on your weight loss journey, here are 12 yoga poses:
1. Ardha Chandraasana or the half moon pose
Benefits: This pose is great to tone your buttocks, upper and inner thighs. The added stretch on the sides of your tummy, help burn off those unsightly love handles and strengthen your core, helps with weight loss. Calculate how much weight you can lose in a month here.
Avoid this pose if you have digestive disorders, a spine injury or high blood pressure, avoid doing this pose.
- Stand with your feet together.
- Raise your hands above your head and clasp your palms together, extend the stretch by trying to reach for the ceiling.
- Exhale, and slowly bend sideways from your hips, keeping your hands together. Remember not to bend forward and keep your elbows straight. You should feel a stretch from your fingertips to your thighs.
- Inhale and come back to the standing position. Repeat this pose on the other side.
2. Veerbhadrasana 1 or warrior pose
Benefits: This aasana stretches your back, strengthens your thighs, buttock and tummy and helps you lose weight.
Avoid this pose if you have high blood pressure, shoulder, knee or back trouble, please perform this pose under the guidance of a trained teacher.
- Stand with your feet together and hands by your side.
- Now extend your right leg forward and keep your left leg extended backwards.
- Gently bend your right knee so that you get into the lunge position.
- Twist your torso to face your bent right leg.
- Slightly turn your left foot sideways (about 400-600) to give you that extra support.
- Exhale, straighten your arms and raise your body up and away from your bent knee.
- Stretch your arms upwards and slowly tilt your torso backwards so your back forms and arch.
- To get out of this pose exhale and straighten your right knee. Now push off your right leg and come back to your original position. You can use your hands to support you. Do not rush out of this pose; you might injure your back or legs. Repeat this aasana for the other leg as well.