Eisner-nominated comic book writer Alex de Campi and THR contributorRead more...
Pretty pink lips are an attractive facial feature, particularly for girls and women. Yet many ladies suffer from dry, dull and discolored lips which both look and feel unpleasant. If these problems sound familiar, there’s no need to worry! Your lips just need a little love and attention. Here’s how to get pretty pink lips in a jiffy!
You can get pinker, natural lips using many different items you can find around your house:
- Combine sugar, honey, and coconut oil to create an exfoliating lip scrub.
- Use cocoa butter, coconut oil, or olive oil as a natural lip moisturizer.
- Use olive oil or almond oil to remove makeup before bed.
- Eat fruits like melon, tomato, and cucumber to keep your lips hydrated
- Make a pomegranate seed paste to lighten your lips.
- Use tumeric and milk to remove discoloration from your lips.
- Use beetroot juice to stain your lips a bright red.
- Make a raspberry and honey lip mask that will turn your lips pink.
- Crush some rose petals and apply the powder to your lips for a natural pink shade.
Method 1: Taking Care of Your Lips
1 Exfoliate with a toothbrush. One of the best ways to get naturally pink lips is to regularly exfoliate your lips with a toothbrush.
- All you need to do is dampen a soft-bristled toothbrush and gently rub your lips using small circular motions.
- This sloughs off dead skin and stimulates blood flow to the lips, making them soft and pink.
2 Make a lip scrub. An alternative method of exfoliating your lips is to use a homemade sugar scrub.
- Simply combine two tablespoons of coarse white or brown sugar with one teaspoon of honey and one tablespoon of organic coconut oil.
- Apply a little of this to the lips and gently rub in for 30 seconds to a minute before rinsing with warm water.
3 Moisturize. Frequent and intense moisturization is key when it comes to getting soft, pink lips. Use your favorite hydrating lip balm during the day and slather on a layer of petroleum jelly at night.
- This is particularly important during periods of very hot or cold weather, as these conditions cause lips to become dried out and flaky.
- If you prefer more natural moisturizers, try applying cocoa butter, coconut oil or even olive oil to your lips.
4 Completely remove make-up at night. Leaving lip make-up on overnight can cause lips to become dried out and even discolored.
- Make sure to remove lipstick and lip liner with an effective make-up remover or cleanser before bed. No excuses.
- If you run out of make-up remover, a little olive or almond oil on a cotton ball will effectively remove any lipstick or liner.
5 Wear lip balm with SPF. Sun damage can dry out lips and cause them to become burned or discolored. To avoid this, you should always wear a lip balm with an SPF to protect your lips in sunny conditions, such as at the beach or on ski holidays.
6 Quit smoking. The tobacco in cigarettes can stain lips, turning them dull and dark. Therefore, one surefire way to improve the appearance of your lips is to stop smoking. This can be difficult, but your lips (and lungs) will thank you for it.
7 Stay hydrated. In addition to moisturizing your lips on the outside, you should make an effort to hydrate them from within.
- You can do this by drinking plenty of water everyday, somewhere between 6 and 8 glasses.
- Also try to eat fruit with a high water content, such as melon, tomato and cucumber.
8 Avoid licking your lips. Although your natural reaction may be to lick dry lips in order to moisten them, this can actually cause lips to become even more dry. As a result, you should avoid licking your lips whenever possible – try carrying around a small lip balm instead, so you can moisturize your lips whenever they feel dry.
Method 2: Using Natural Remedies
1 Use pomegranate seeds. One popular home remedy for lightening dark lips and giving them a rosy pink color is as follows:
- Crush up the seeds of a pomegranate, mix the crushed seeds with some cold milk cream to form a paste, then apply this paste to the lips.
- This should be repeated several times a week to gradually increase the pinkness of your lips.
2 Make a paste from turmeric and milk. A paste made from a teaspoon of turmeric powder (a popular Indian spice) and a drop of cold milk is believed to remove lip discoloration, leaving lips looking healthy and pink.
- Simply apply the paste to the lips and leave to sit for five minutes before rinsing off with warm water.
- Do this every day for a week and you should notice a significant difference.
3 Use beetroot juice. Beetroot juice acts as a natural lip stain which will temporarily turn your lips a bright cherry red.
- Some people also claim that beetroot juice helps to gradually lighten dark lips, when applied on a regular basis.
- You can use beetroot juice from fresh or pickled beetroot – as long as you don’t mind the taste.
4 Make a raspberry lip mask. You can make a hydrating mask that turns your lips pink by mixing two crushed fresh raspberries with a teaspoon of honey and a teaspoon of aloe vera gel.
- Apply this mask to your lips and leave to sit for five minutes before rinsing with warm water.
- Follow with an application of lip balm.
5 Try crushed rose petals. Crushed rose petals will give your lips a naturally rosy color! Simply rub the freshly crushed petals (from red or pink roses) onto your lips for a pretty pink flush.
5 Apply mustard oil to the belly button. This may seem somewhat bizarre, but one ancient home remedy holds that a little mustard oil placed in the belly button at nighttime will result in naturally soft, pink lips. Can’t hurt to try!
Method 3: Using Make-Up
1 Choose a color of lipstick and a matching lip liner. Choose the shade of pink lipstick you like best, then try to find a lip liner in a closely matching shade.
2 Apply lip liner. Trace the edge of your natural lip line with the lip liner, using your fingers to blend the color towards the center of the lips. Pay particular attention to the corners of your lips and your cupid’s bow.
3 Apply the lipstick. Make sure it doesn’t go outside of your lips. If you have a shaky hand, you can use a lip brush for more precise application.
4 Pat your lips with a tissue. Take a clean tissue, put it between your lips and press your lips together. This removes any excess lipstick.
5 Add a clear gloss or lip balm. This will seal the lipstick, add shine and keep your lips moisturized.