Eisner-nominated comic book writer Alex de Campi and THR contributorRead more...
A good hair day can make you feel confident and super attractive. Strong and shiny hair is the envy of peers. This makes hair care is one of the mandatory aspects of our beauty regime.
Lack of proper care ensures that most of us suffer from hair fall, dry/oily hair or unhealthy looking hair. Let’s look at a few basic hair care steps which seem elementary but can affect the health of your hair.
Basic Care: Hair Tips
Here are few basic tips for hair care in general.
- Identify the shampoo based on your hair type. Different hair types like dry, oily and combination require different shampoos.
- Shampoo your hair every alternate day. If you have dry hair, ensure a hot oil massage half an hour before shampooing.
- Don’t shampoo without following it with a conditioner.
- It is better to dilute the shampoo with water before using. Rinse the shampoo within 30 seconds of applying it.
- It is another myth that your hair gets used to a particular shampoo and conditioner, and they do not work well for them after a point of time. It is true that product build-up occurs in your hair but to get rid of that just mix a little bit of baking soda with your favorite shampoo every two months and ten continue using that shampoo and conditioner.
- Use small circular, motions with your fingertips to massage your scalp and stimulate blood flow.
2. Breaking And Hair Loss
- To minimize breakage, make sure that your hair is thoroughly wet before applying shampoo.
- You want a soft finish.Control the flyaway strands of hair which are known to break, spray some hairspray into your palm and then run your hands over your hair.
- Make sure that the hair accessories like bobby pins, flowers and different clips don’t damage your hair. Choose branded accessories like Revlon clips.
- Never pour hot water on your hair as it gets rid of the natural oil that the hair has.
- Use lukewarm water for your first rinse, shampoo and condition your hair as usual and then use cold water for your last rinse.
- You can opt for a final rinse with beer or even apple cider vinegar. You can choose cold steeped tea for a nice gloss to your hair.
4. Hair Dryers And Other Tools
- Do not use a hair dryer to dry your half wet hair, and make sure to let them air dry.
- If you urgently need to style them, then towel dry your hair.
- Do not rub your hair with the towel, rather wrap the towel around your hair so that it may absorb moisture.
- Always opt for heat resistant sprays like Tresemme to protect your hair. Work them into wet hair.
- Choose Argan oil which can be left in the hair prior to heat straightening.
5. Brush Your Hair
- Brush your hair every morning to keep it free of tangles.
- The brush helps distribute natural oils evenly throughout your hair. This gives your hair a healthy shine.
- To avoid breakage and static in your hair, instead of using a brush use a wide toothed comb to de-tangle your hair. If you do want to use a brush, use a paddle brush but make sure you never use it on wet hair.
- Use a soft-bristled brush to gently brush your hair. And don’t do a hurried job! Pamper your hair.
- If you don’t have time, brush your hair while watching TV, but do it gently. Vigorous brushing can scratch the scalp and break the hair.
- Comb/ Brush your hair out before you shower so that you don’t have to deal with knots while your hair is wet and more vulnerable to breakage.
Whether you prefer an elaborate hairdo or something simple, you need to style your hair every day. Try to be gentle while handling your hair and do not pull or tug unnecessarily. Use your brush to carefully style your hair and make it presentable.
- Cover your head if you have to go out in the sun as environmental factors such as sunlight, the wind, cold temperature can dry and damage the hair.
- Always use a bathing cap when you go for swimming to ensure that the hair is not affected by chlorinated water.
- Using coated rubber bands for ponytails for holding the ends of a braid will help reduce the stress on hair.
- Avoid sharing your brushes and combs.Follow a cleansing regimen for your hair implements.Wash them with soapy water.
8. Night Care
Before you retire to bed, spend a few minutes in front of your mirror and brush your hair gently. This will get rid of the knots and tangles that have accumulated during the day.
After brushing, tie your hair into a loose ponytail to prevent tangles while you sleep. If you have short hair, you have no cause for worry.